As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure policy.
Historical Fiction Books About Kings and Queens
So, I’m currently OBSESSED with PBS Masterpiece’s Victoria TV series. It follows the life of the iconic young monarch and how her reign as the Queen of England began. I recommend watching the show if you enjoy everything with royals and monarchy. Inspired by my latest TV obsession, I wanted to create a reading list of historical fiction books about kings and queens.
Readers will watch as the characters in these stories navigate court scandals, twisted politics, untrustworthy alliances, and everything that comes with competing for the crown.
Best Books About Royalty Fiction
I found so many exciting books for this reading list and even managed to find a few gems of historical fiction princess books! Aside from some of them being based on real people, these books also include lots of romance and heartbreak. You’ll also read about the delicacies that come with marrying a king, and the lengths the woman had to go to to keep his attention.
Historical Fiction Books About Royalty
- The Sisters of Versailles by Sally Christie
- Her Highness, the Traitor by Susan Higginbotham
- The Accidental Empress by Allison Pataki
- Confessions of a Courtesan by Deborah Hale & Elizabeth Charles
Best Historical Fiction About Kings and Queens
- Victoria by Daisy Goodwin
- Anne Boleyn, A King’s Obsession by Alison Weir
- The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner
- The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva Stachniak
Historical Fiction Princess Books
- An Indiscreet Princess by Georgie Blalock
- The Irish Princess by Elizabeth Chadwick
- A Most English Princess by Clare McHugh
- The White Princess by Philippa Gregory
Hannah | Reading Obsessed